April 24, 2012

Give too much/too little credit...


Do you give too much credit to yourself and to others or too little...

We were always taught to be humble so it sort of became a lifestyle, I do not think thats how it was intended to work anyway. Rarely will I pat myself on the back. I recently read What Got You Here Won't Get You There by Marshall Goldsmith a story of a ridiculous girl ...in a pretty blue dress and when complimented gets nervous, says she just picked it random, its not even pressed...and so on...and guy rolls his eyes and wonders just say thank you! and I laughed at myself. On the other hand I compliment others accordingly, when they are impressive I am adequately impressed.

Now I have met a few different people who are unafraid to compliment themselves and if you disagree some won't care much (they already think they are impressive) some will be offended (how could you!)
This is the lot that worries me a little because when you give me a great impression I hold it and the day you don't live to the expectation I end up disappointed. Again they say you should't meet your heroes.

Everyone talked about a certain club, it was a huge excitement how great it looked and so much fun that comes with it. I delayed going to see it but when I finally did, it was a major disappointment. It had wooden tables, awkward drunk people and all..harsh judgement....but only beacuse it din't live up to my expectation.I do not like to be shortchanged. Had I not received the report, I could have considered it an alright place.

Same goes with people, I think it is good to be moderate with giving credit to yourself because when you do not live up to the expectations...its not pretty. If you set high expectations on me as well I get the impression that you also would meet my highest expectations and it is odd when you do not live up.

I think too much or too little isn't good make it as real as possible....a lesson I need to learn as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment