April 06, 2013

promoting a reading culture


Still turning around the idea of a bookshop in my mind, its not going away, its sounding exciting day by day. One of the things I have thought of that I would love to do for my community/ society is to promote a reading culture.

Location - My mama has a small kiosk, next to it is a vacant room which leaks so no one wants it but I want it now. I'll have it fixed to a decent state in the next couple of weeks.

Margins - The population lies somewhere between lower lower class and lower middle class, its is not high end therefore low margins expected and have to be creative to move volumes.

Inventory - I visited a large book retail and wholesaler in the city and they have a couple of requirements I have to provide before they can sell to me on wholesale (business registration etc) will request my brother to assist here.

Crazy - Was once asked at a meeting to share a dream, a lofty dream - my dream was to own a whole street in the city, the large book retail and wholesale shop I visited is located on 'this street' and there are several publishing houses next to it, its official, am keeping that dream!

Environment - There are many nursery and primary schools in the area so there's a basic level of education, many households, a few slums, 2 small dispensaries, churches, one factory. I think this society could find great use for books and the education could improve our society significantly.

The journey of a 1000miles has already started in my mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment