August 23, 2011

disadvantaged?

I like oxymoron! a figure of speech that combines contradictory terms.

I came across one today on Pstr.M's blog trip to Singapore (edited)


'durain or the ‘king of fruits’. It has a tough green exterior with sharp thorns and cutting into it needs serious skills. It has a strong ammonia smell that sticks to your hands and mouth. The smell is so strong that it’s illegal to carry one onto public transportation! In light of which it’s sweet and creamy taste and texture come as quite a surprise. Eating it has been likened to eating strawberries and cream in a toilet!'


When I get to travel, many times I look out for,'what do they have that I/we don't,never have, never seen'. Coming from Africa where we are 'disadvantaged', am always looking out for the differences we have compared to others. Recently saw somewhere that in Africa from the day we are born we are disadvantaged, by just being born here! especially in comparison to children in developed countries.

Being a woman, the referred 'weaker sex', there goes another 'disadvantage'.

Now try, a Woman born in Africa!

I do not mind unglamorous reports about people, things, places etc, I find them intriguing. I try to find the possible or even just an ounce of good in them, and am always pleasantly surprised.
Same applies to glamorous reports of people, things or places that don't live up to their fame leading to buyer remorse and major disappointment.

I do not mind being thought little of,but I mind it a lot when I live up to the little thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment